We all know that we could be saving on our energy bills, but did you know that you could be saving over £800 per year by just making a few changes? Below is our list of the top 5 reasons you’re paying too much for your energy:
Your energy company is overcharging you
You could save: £400
Been with the same energy supplier for over a year? You’re probably already paying way over the odds for your energy. Sign up with Switchd today and we’ll automatically switch you to the best deal whenever it comes along. We even take into account factors like exit fees, and you’ll always stay in control of who we switch you to. Find out how much you can save right now.
You could save: £200
If you don't have loft insulation, installing it will cost around £300, and will easily save you over £100 per year. If you don’t have double glazing and don’t have the spare cash to get new windows installed, stick up some secondary glazing – essentially cling film that adds another layer of insulation – and you’ll typically save £75 per year. Traditional double glazing will save you an additional £25-50 per year.
You could save: £125
Old-fashioned lightbulbs have a massive impact on your energy bills. If you’re still using them, go out and buy some LED bulbs as soon as possible. LEDs use one-sixth to one-tenth of the energy for the same brightness and last far longer than incandescent bulbs. They’re a little bit more expensive but will end up paying for themselves within a year, easily.
Leaving things on
You could save: £70-100
It’s easy to ignore the little things when you’re looking for ways to save on your energy costs. But things really can add up. Here’s an example of how several ‘little things’ can make a big difference to your bills:
- Leaving two hall lights on at night: £50 per year.
- Leaving your TV, games console and DVD player on standby at night: £15 per year.
- Leaving your computer and printer on standby at night: £7 per year.
- Total annual cost: £72.
Paying by anything other than monthly direct debit
You could save: £60
Energy companies like to get you set up on direct debit. It means that they don’t have to wait for you to make a payment every month – they simply take it out themselves. Because of this, they’ll offer cheaper tariffs on monthly direct debit than on other payment methods (such as quarterly billing and payment on receipt).
Start saving today
Want to start saving on your energy bills right now? Sign up with Switchd, enter a few details and we'll get you on the best rate in the market.
So, what are you waiting for?
- We save you more time and money than comparison sites and our free competitors. And what’s more, you’ll only be charged for our service if and when we get you a saving of £50 or more.
- Its quick to sign up, then hassle-free thereafter.
- Auto switching is for those who want to save money, but don’t have the time or patience to keep switching. If you want to save money hassle-free, auto switching may well be for you.